Friday, September 3, 2010

"I know my parents love me..."

Some of the cast of "A Different World"
My all time favorite show is "A Different World" the spin-off of "The Cosby Show". I personally love that show because the cast looks like me, and face the same struggles that I have and speak about important topics in each show, all while being hilarious.
 Although the first episode was aired two years before I was born (!) I feel like I was a college student in the late 80's early 90's.

I don't remember watching any specific episode of the show as a child. However, I remember it came on right after "Cosby" (which makes sense) and my sisters and I would jump and dance to the theme song and yell "where ya coming FROM!" at the end (you have to know the theme song to know what I mean).

As an adult, I've practically seen every single episode and can tell you the story line from the time Denise Huxtable entered Hillman as a freshman until Dwayne and Whitley moved to Japan :)

Whitley Gilbert
Speaking of Whitley, Jasmine Guy played the role of Whitley Marion Gilbert, the spoiled, upper-class, high-yellow, Virginia born, intelligent and classy Junior who ended up becoming one of the main characters in the show. And I love her, lol. Whitley always looked classy, sporting Chanel purses, tweed suits, and pearl earrings. And on more casual days, a cashmere sweater, slacks and a LV bag would suffice.

I love the 80's (not only because I'm a 80's baby - 89 to be exact) because the there were quality shows out for black families to watch. I learned alot from "Cosby" and "A Different World". It opened my eyes to how the world was when I entered it. And I just love looking at how the style of clothing transformed as the years went by ( I think Lena a.k.a. Jada Pinkett had the craziest outfits).

What are your favorite throwback shows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Powered By Blogger